1. a person who installs and repairs piping, fixtures, appliances, and appurtenances in connection with the water supply, drainage systems, etc., both in and out of buildings.
2. Slang. an undercover operative or spy hired to detect or stop leaks of news or secret information, often using questionable or illegal methods, as illegal entry or wiretapping.
3. Obsolete . a worker in lead or similar metals.
What is a plumber?
A trades person who specializes in installing and maintaining systems used for potable (drinking) water, sewage, and drainage in plumbing systems.
When ever someone thinks of a plumber they generally think of Super Mario. Big mustache, overalls, and a pipe in hand on their way to fix a toilet. People think of a plumber as someone who you call when your toilet is not working. They tend to forget that plumbers cover so much in their home or business.
Things you probably didn't know they work on...
- Hot Water Heaters
- Sewer Lines
- Gas Lines
- Water Softeners
Rule of thumb, if it has a pipe, call a plumber
- build and repair water supply lines
- build and repair sewerage to all types of buildings
- work on main line stoppages
- repair or replace valves
- work on and install water heaters
- install tubs and showers
Some needed skills, interests, and values that plumbers need
- Reading drawings, and specifications to determine layout of water supply, waste, and venting systems
- Detecting faults in plumbing appliances and systems, and correctly diagnosing their causes
- Installing, repairing and maintaining domestic, commercial, and industrial plumbing fixtures and systems
- Locating and marking positions for pipe connections, passage holes, and fixtures in walls and floors
- Measuring, cutting, bending, and threading pipes using hand and power tools or machines
- Joining pipes and fittings together using soldering techniques, compression fittings, threaded fittings, and push-on fittings.
- Testing pipes for leaks using air and water pressure gauges
- Awareness of legal regulations and safety issues
- Ensuring safety standards and build regulations are met.
Kevin Szabo Jr.