It is important to know the budget before remodeling your bathroom, what is your budget? How much money can you afford for your bathroom remodel? Once you figure out your budget going down your list will be easier.
Ask around for bathroom ideas. Ask friends, family, or coworkers. Look through home magazines. Go online and search whats new and hip. You might have a theme in mind, but it won't hurt to look around. They always have new looks and as you get older your taste changes. Make sure you look at everything before you choose what style you want to go with.
- Do you want to keep the same bathroom layout? Or can you afford to change/move things around?
- Do you want a shower, tub, or both? Is your bathroom big enough to fit both? If you are getting a tub, make sure you sit in the tub before you buy it. Who cares if people are looking, get in that tub and make sure you are happy sitting inside of it. Is it deep enough? Is it comfortable? Are you going to have someone else join you in this tub?
- What kind of vanity do you want? This goes with what style or theme you are going with. Traditional, modern, luxurious, crisp & clean, elegant, romantic, etc.
- After you figure out the vanity, the sink is easier to pick out.
- Pick out a bathroom floor, remember you have to clean it, make sure it's something easy to clean. Pick something that works with your look, price, durability, and cleaning.
- Toilet is a must have. Do you want something with gadgets, fancy, or something comfortable that you'll enjoy reading the paper in the morning. We spend lots of time sitting on the toilet, make sure you like what you pick.
- Wall colors, what kind of colors do you have in mind? Painting is a must. It will liven up your bathroom.
- Lighting. Depending on your budget, you should spend on lighting. If your budget is limited, you should make it a point to work on the lighting.
- Plumbing fixtures. Don't be cheap on your plumbing fixtures. Do your research, and spend some money on your fixtures. Cheap fixtures don't last as long.
- If you are getting a curtain rod for your shower or tub, make sure you get a nice shower curtain. Depending on the size of the bathroom, it is one of the first things you notice when you walk it.
Everyone's bathroom is different. Some bathrooms have not been updated in a long time, others have horrible plumbing, and the lucky ones only need a few touch ups to update the look. Whether you are planning on doing it yourself, have your friends help you, or call a professional, remember it doesn't hurt to call a plumber to give you an estimate. A plumber can walk you through what the bathroom needs or even give you new ideas that you didn't think could fit in there. They can always work with your budget. Good luck and happy remodeling.